Well it took a while but I got another chapter edited. It was a short one so it took very little time, but I feel like it’s lacking something. I can’t quite put my finger on it. It’s possible it’s merely the fact that it’s short and that it’s all internal dialogue and discovery. It’s necessary for the course of the story but still… Oh well, I made a note in the “document notes” section so I can see it when I go over it again and again. I bolded some parts of it to come back to later since I can’t think how to fix them just yet. There’s not anything specifically wrong with them, they could just be a bit better somehow.
Anyway, the last few weeks have been busy and trying to re-adapt to a routine where I have time again to edit is growing in difficulty. I am slightly worried that the inconsistency of the editing will not benefit it very well, due to the fact that it will be harder to distinguish specific things like appropriate character consistencies and general flow, as well as any possible plot inconsistencies I missed when writing the rough draft. They’re all relatively big things and while I know the characters really well and the story, there are still some things I might miss. I have a plan though to make sure that doesn’t stay when I finally get it out to publishers, so it should be all right in the end.
I hope everyone is having a good start to the new year!